Friday, May 16, 2014

Movie Review: Neighbors

     Since the release of the classic comedy Old School, comedies have changed up their style to be more raunchy, pushing the envelope and becoming less predictable. All in all, they provide the comedy that some members of the audience need in their lives. This summer's first comedy does just that. Starring Seth Rogen and Zac Efron (yes, that Zac Efron), Neighbors brings on the wonderful balance of shocking behavior and delightful humor.


     Mac Radner (Rogen) and his wife Kelly (Rose Byrne) have the picture perfect adult life; a steady job, a home, and a child. Their perfect adult world is disrupted when a fraternity moves into the house next door, led by its president, Teddy (Efron). Living next to a fraternity house is not that bad until the parties start disrupting the lives of the couple and the stakes get raised as the battle for the neighborhood begins between these neighbors.

     I was a little worried when I heard about Zac Efron's casting in this movie because when I think of him, I still see Disney and High School Musical. If you still have that idea in your mind when this movie because he embraces the stereotypical role of a fraternity president: handsome, stylish, party person, and a complete "bro". It reminded me fondly of seeing those guys on campus when I was a college student. I was very impressed with the energy that Efron brought to the role and completely breaking free from that young Disney star. He matched up well against Rogan's parent role. 

     It wouldn't be a Seth Rogan movie without his character getting in on some of the fun. Despite the fact that his character is supposed to be a mature family man, Radner took the fight to the fraternity by doing his best to fit in and play by their rules. From sabotaging the frat house to turning the neighborhood against the students to a final battle against Teddy, Radner proves that he can still hang with guys younger than him. You could really tell that Rogan had fun making this film and enjoyed working with Efron the whole time. 



     When you first look at this film, you would think that it's another insane comedy straight for the start with Seth Rogen's voice over before the first scene (I'm not going to spoil that for you all!). As the film starts to pick up and the fraternity comes into play, there is an underlying message under all of the hilarious acts and suggestive humor. Watching Rogan and Efron's characters, it shows that when college is over and real life begins, you can't go back to re-live or re-do your youthful glory days. Thinking about it is one thing but trying it when you are past the appropriate age is another. Despite the fact of how young I am, I know there are some things that I could do when I was going onto twenty that I can't do now...or is it that I don't choose to. I don't know. 

     Bottom line, if you are looking for a good laugh in the early part of the summer, I recommend going to see Neighbors. Catch you all soon with my review of the much anticipated X-Men: Days of Future Past.
     


   

No comments:

Post a Comment